We explain everything professional photographers need to know about Public Liability insurance. To find out more, contact us now or get a free online quote.

Public liability for photographers

What is public liability insurance?

Whether you are working in a studio or out shooting on location, there is always the chance that something could go wrong and an accident happens. A member of the public could trip over a wire and injure themselves, for instance, or a tripod could fall over and cause damage to someone else’s property.

We try to prevent accidents as much as possible, but unfortunately they sometimes do happen – and they can often be costly. Thankfully, there are measures you can put in place to help financially once the damage has been done.

Public liability insurance can help to protect you against losses associated with injuring someone or causing damage to their property while you are working.

Find out more: What is Public Liability Insurance?

Do photographers need public liability insurance?

As photographers tend to have a lot of interaction with their clients and other members of the public, they can be exposed to risks such as causing personal injury or accident damage.

Without public liability cover in place, you could be left with an expensive claim to pay out of your own pocket. Therefore, although there is no legal requirement to have public liability insurance, it is advisable for photographers to have some level of cover to protect themselves and their business.

Also, a lot of clients and venues e.g. wedding venues, exhibition centres etc. require service providers such as photographers to have a certain level of public liability insurance in place before they can work. This is why we provide cover on both an annual and short-term basis – allowing photographers the choice to buy cover just for the time period they need it.

Find out more: Short term public liability insurance

Arrange a FREE consultation

Need help? Discuss your insurance needs in more detail with our expert team.


How much public liability insurance does a photographer need?

The level of public liability cover you need as a photographer will depend on the nature of your business and the level of risk you face. For example, if you are a wedding photographer regularly dealing with people and working in wedding venues you may require a higher level of cover.

You also may be required to buy a specific level of cover for a particular job or campaign, as some venues will require a minimum level of public liability in order for you to work there.

To give photographers more choice and flexibility with their cover, we offer a range of public liability levels to choose from depending on your own needs and requirements. With Create Insurance you can choose from the following cover amounts:

  • £1 million
  • £2 million
  • £3 million
  • £5 million

If you think you require a higher level of photographer public liability insurance, you can contact us directly to request it.

How much does public liability insurance cost?

How much you pay for public liability insurance depends on the level of cover you require and the length of time you want to be covered for.

As a rough guide, a UK based annual public liability policy with a £1 million limit would cost £84 for the year with Create Insurance – which works out at just £7 per month.

To get a quote for public liability insurance, use our quick online quoting system.

What other insurance might a photographer need?

As well as public liability insurance, we provide equipment cover so photographers can insure their important kit – everything from cameras and lenses to softboxes, tripods and SD cards. Our technical and portable equipment insurance can cover up to £50k worth of kit, with short term and worldwide options.

Find out more: Equipment insurance for freelancers

We also provide professional indemnity insurance up to a limit of £1m, which offers protection for your business if a customer brings a claim for negligence, or a breach of any duty to use reasonable care and skill.

The cover includes:

  • Unintentional breach of a written contract
  • Negligent misstatement or negligent misrepresentation
  • Defamation
  • Infringement of intellectual property rights
  • Dishonesty of your individual employees

Find out more: Professional Indemnity insurance for freelancers

Find out more about insurance for photographers:

Freelance insurance tailored to you

Create Insurance offers specialist insurance cover for freelance photographers, designers, artists and more – get instant cover on public liability, professional indemnity and equipment insurance.

Most Popular Stories

Get in touch


AGM House
3 Barton Close
Grove Park, Enderby
LE19 1SJ

Main Navigation

Types of cover

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap